What is MOTN?
A Brief History – The Marine and Oceanographic Technology Network (MOTN) originated as the Massachusetts Ocean Technology Network. MOTN was formed in 1994 as a non-profit corporation with the express purpose of promoting, supporting, and expanding the marine technology manufacturing and service businesses within the state of Massachusetts. The state recognized that Massachusetts had become a hotbed of oceanographic technology, and provided seed money to form a network that would foster cooperation and synergy within this industry to encourage the development and expansion of local business opportunities.
As MOTN grew in size and popularity, it became obvious that the the entire New England region, with its dense population of marine technology design and production firms, could also benefit from membership within the organization. Thus, recently, the Massachusetts Ocean Technology Network gave way to the larger, more diverse Marine and Oceanographic Technology Network.
What does MOTN do?
Essentially, MOTN fosters cooperation between, and opportunities for, its member companies. Member companies include industry suppliers, consultants, representatives, research institutes and manufacturers – all working together to increase business opportunities both within and outside of the organization.
Current and Future Projects Include:
- Homeland Defense – iMOTN plans to become a clearinghouse for Homeland Security technology and market information for its members. Through participation in several planned Homeland Security events, MOTN aims to become a catalyst in bringing Federal, State and Local agency attention to MOTN member products, technologies and expertise. A MOTN Port & Harbor Security Steering Committee is currently being organized.
- Health Care Collaborative – MOTN is currently investigating the possibility of forming a collaborative the reduce our members high cost of health care. More information to follow soon.
- MOTN Newsletter – MOTN is also investigating the possibility of creating and distributing an MOTN newsletter. This would include member news, announcements, product highlights, etc. and would be distributed via e-mail, and posted to www.motn.org.
- Trade Show Collaborative – MOTN member companies are leveraging funds to attend industry trade shows. They have attended tradeshows (either in their own booth or under the MOTN banner) in California, Florida, Maryland, Rhode Island, Canada, England, and Singapore. Follow this link for our calendar.
- Joint Promotion – A Network Directory is produced in printed and on-line format promoting and linking the products, services, and capabilities of member companies and organizations. This directory is made available to our members’ potential customers and anyone interested in the network.
- Networking Meetings – MOTN hosts quarterly meetings at a variety of facilities. These meetings are organized not only to inform members of recent and upcoming events, but also to provide networking opportunities for our member companies. Follow this link for our calendar.
How is MOTN financed?
MOTN is financed with membership fees, specific project contributions, and matching funds (on a year to year basis) from the Massachusetts Office of Business Development Manufacturing Networks Program.